Our guide to the ferry services in Wellington
Wellington ferries include short crossings from the waterfront area to Days Bay and the crossings over to Picton on the South Island.
Central Wellington - Days Bay
The ferry company ‘East By West’ operate up to 16 daily crossings between Wellington’s Queens Wharf and Days Bay on the harbour's eastern coast. Tickets can be purchased from their office in the Meridian Building in the middle of the waterfront area (next to Portofino Restaurant). The journey is 20 minutes to Day’s Bay or 30 minutes if stopping off at Matiu Somes Island.
Their ferries also operate three times a day to Seatoun and cost the same as Days Bay. At weekends, you can catch their Harbour Explorer Tours that take in all the stops including Seatoun, Days Bay and Matiu Somes Island.
Island Crossing Ferry
Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferry and The Interislander connect Wellington, situated at the foot of the North Island, to the small town of Picton on the South Island. The vehicle carrying service takes around 3 hours and is often described as "one of the most beautiful ferry rides in the world".
The 92 kilometre trip presents the incredible beauty of the Marlborough Sounds, giving you regular sightings of dolphins, whales and fur seals.
The Interislander runs 5 times a day (both directions) while Bluebridge ferries runs 2-3 a day (both directions) with a range of fare options to suit your budget.
- Arrive for check-in 1 hour before your sailing time when driving. It's 45 minute for foot passengers.
- For travel during the Peak Season Summer months, book well in advance (December - February).
- Food outlets and alcohol can be purchased on the ships.
- Free Wi-Fi is available.
- You can check-in 2 items of hand luggage for free and save the hassle of carrying around with you. If driving, leave your large items of luggage in the car or you will need to check-in before boarding.
- There are plenty of outlets through-out the ships for charging devices.
Bluebridge Ferries - 50 Waterloo Quay
Interislander - 1 Aotea Quay
Wellington Ferry Operators