My Guide Website?
Wellington: Lord of the Rings & Weta Workshop Full-Day Tour81 Reviews
Enjoy a full-day adventure in Wellington, home of Middle-Earth. Visit locations from the Lord of the Rings movies and the famous Weta Workshop where the films were created, and savor a themed lunch.
Our Top Experiences and Tours in Wellington:If youʻre booking your trip to Wellington last minute, we have you covered. Below are some of the top tours and experiences!
- Remutaka Rail Trail Mountain Bike Explorer
- Wellington Craft Brewery Half-Day Guided Tour with Tastings
- Wellington: Return Cable Car Ticket
- From Wellington: Half-Day Foodie Tour of the Wairarapa
- Martinborough Wine and Food Tour with Lunch from Wellington
- Encounter famous sights from The Lord of the Rings and Hobbit movies
- Recreate famous scenes and hear behind-the-scenes stories
- Discover Weta workshop with a special behind-the-scenes tour
- Cafe lunch included
- Learn the art of filmmaking
DescriptionAfter pickup from the Cruise Terminal or one of several easy Wellington City locations, you will start your journey with one of our knowledgeable guides who have decades of experience between them. See the Embassy Cinema and learn about the amazing World Premieres held here. Then, ascend to the Mt Victoria lookout, where you will enjoy a stunning view of the city and harbour. Then descend into the forested slopes of the nearby Outer Shire to follow in the footsteps of Frodo and the Hobbits as they began their quest to destroy the One Ring. See where they encountered mushrooms and Black Riders before they 'get off the road' and flee to the Buckleberry Ferry. You can recreate some of the most famous scenes from The Fellowship of the Ring and make your social media streams go crazy! Next is the famous Weta Workshop to enjoy a behind-the-scenes tour in a specially designed, top secret tour space. A Weta artist will share the secrets behind filmmaking and explain how the props, costumes and weapons were created. Snap photos with some iconic characters from middle-Earth and pick up a souvenir or two, if desired. After this, you venture towards the River Anduin where the Fellowship travelled to the Falls of Rauros after leaving Lothlorien. Then, you will enjoy a delicious hobbit-themed lunch where you can feast on some traditional hobbit fare to refresh your stamina for the journey ahead. All dietary requirements can be catered for, but please advise when booking. After lunch, you will drive to Kaitoke Regional Park - a stunning temperate rain forest and setting for Rivendell. Immerse yourself in the magical location and learn how the area was transformed into Elrond's house, Frodo's bedroom and more. Reenact a famous Legolas image and then recreate the scene where Frodo leads the newly formed Fellowship towards Mordor by posing in front of the Rivendell gate tower which is the only LOTR replica structure in the whole country outside of Hobbiton. You also see a scene from the start of The Two Towers and have a chance to cross a swing bridge and visit a giant 800-year-old native Rimu tree and learn about NZ's flora and fauna. Finally, you will visit the Gardens of Isengard and see where Gandalf rode to meet Saruman after discovering Frodo had the One Ring and where the wizards walked through the beautiful gardens before they were destroyed. This is also the location where the Orcs began felling Fangorn Forest. On the journey home, we pass by Dry Creek Quarry, that was used for Helm's Deep and Minas Tirith. This is now a working quarry so we are not allowed access, but your guide will share stories and photos as you see it from the road. You will then be returned to your pickup location full of information and stories that will make your friends and family jealous. This tour is a must-do for any fan and those who want to enjoy some of the most beautiful places in the Wellington region. Book today and join us on this unforgettable journey!
IncludesPickup and drop-off from selected central Wellington locations and the cruise terminal Transportation Local guide Native forest walk Weta Studios workshop exhibition tour Lord of the Rings-themed lunch
- Tour runs in any weather, please wear appropriate clothing and footwear for the day
- Please advise of any dietary requirements when booking
- Film locations are off road across unpaved, sloping paths
- Tour is not suitable for wheelchairs, walkers or people of limited mobility
- Children 12 years and under must travel with an adult
- Pick-up can be arranged from the cruise ship terminal or from Wellington Airport (for an additional cost per person), please request when booking if required