Kapiti Island Nature Reserve Day Trip
Are you a business owner in Wellington?
Promote your business 365 days a year with the #1 Guide to Wellington.
- Gain MAXIMUM EXPOSURE with a 'Dedicated Business Profile'
- Discover the stunningly beautiful and peaceful Kapiti Island, a predator-free nature reserve
- Feel a million miles from civilizations while only being a 20-minute boat ride from the mainland
- Explore the island on your own - sit in solitude, take a walk, trek to the summit and see nature at its best
- Swim in the bay within the famed Kapiti Marine Reserve
- Walk to the island summit at 542-meters tall for 360 degrees views
- Listen to incredible birds and hear the stories of early Maori, whalers and bird sanctuary pioneers
DescriptionMeet your host at the Kapiti Boat Club Paraparaumu and board a purpose-built jet boat for the short 20-minute trip to Ko te Waewae Kapiti o tara Rua ko Rangitani, also known as Kapiti Island. Prior to departure, your guide will take you through a short biosecurity check to ensure Kapiti Island is kept predator free. One of the reasons Kapiti Island is so special is that it does not have any mammalian predators. This means the bird life is not like on the mainland. On Kapiti, you will see and hear rare and endangered species that thrive on the island. On arrival at Kapiti Island, head up to the information center and gain a 20-minute overview of the ecology, natural history and birds you are likely to see on the island. Learn about the best tracks, how to best spot the bird, and where to swim. Then, set off on your own to soak up the beauty of the island. For an additional fee, you can enjoy a 1-hour guided walk with a world-class guide, prior to being let loose on the island. Whilst this is not a fully guided experience, your guide will be on the island for the day, available to answer any questions and help ensure you have the best day possible. After your self-guided experience, climb back onboard the boat to head back to the mainland, arriving around 2:45 PM.
IncludesReturn cruise to the island
Local guide who will stay on the island to look after you
All permits to the island
1-hour guided walk (additional cost on the day)
Snorkel gear hire
- The tracks are really good but the island is steep so good walking shoes are recommended
- Bring your lunch, a water bottle, and your camera. Wear good shoes such as trainers or walking shoes
- Include a 1-hour guided walk for NZD $20.00 per person on the day. This is awesome for the bird spotters or anyone wanting that little extra. The guides are world-class in their knowledge of the flora, fauna and natural history of the island
- You can also hire snorkel gear to swim in the Marine Sanctuary on the day and the guides will show you the best spots to swim
Easy cancellationCancel up to 24 hours in advance for a full refund
You may also like
Rover Rings ToursWellington City, Wellington
Rover Rings Tours highlights the best Lord of the Rings locations the Wellington Region has to offer...From NZ$95.00
New Zealand: Auckland to Wellington 3-Day Tour via Rotorua
Drive across New Zealand’s north island on this 3-day tour from Auckland to Wellington with 2 nights stay in Rotorua. The tour includes admission and tours of the famouFrom NZ$899.00
Hop On Hop Off TourWellington City, Wellington
See Wellington in style and comfort with an informative one and a half hour tour in a small minibus...From NZ$45.00
Escape MateWellington City, Wellington
Escape Mate is the ultimate venue for epic group activities situated in the heart of Wellington...From NZ$40.00
Seal Coast SafariWellington City, Wellington
Experience Wellington's wild side and get up close and personal with seals on a four-wheel drive safari...From NZ$125.00
Flat Earth New Zealand ExperiencesWellington City, Wellington
Specialist guided tours in small groups. Local, knowledgeable and friendly guides, who encourage getting involved. Over a dozen options to choose from, from city walks to...From NZ$95.00
Nairn Street CottageWellington
Classified by Heritage New Zealand as having ‘outstanding significance’, Nairn Street Cottage is an excellent example of how the first colonials merged their lives from their Victorian homeland with the surrounds of a new country.From NZ$8.00
Located in picturesque Martinborough, Olivo is the oldest commercial olive grove in the Wairarapa and produces artisan olive oils...From NZ$15.00
Bodyhaven Boutique SpaWellington City, Wellington
As one of downtown's Wellington's best-known spas, Bodyhaven enjoys a pride of place in the Amora Hotel on Wakefield Street................
Space Place At Carter ObservatoryKelburn, Wellington
Located in Wellington's Botanic Gardens, the Carter Observatory takes visitors on a trip to the stars. The observatory is the longest serving observatory in New Zealand.....From NZ$12.50